| January 28 11:15 h (January 27 17:15 GMT)
In the last 24 hours the monitoring system of Popocatepetl volcano recorded 184 exhalations accompanied by steam, gas and sometimes small amounts of ash (image 1), (image 2).
Yesterday two small explosions were recorded at 12:41 h (image 3) and 21:17 h (image 4).
During the night incandescence was observed over the crater (image 5).
At morning a steam and gas emission has been observed toward east (image 6).
The Volcanic Alert is located in Yellow Phase 2.
This type of activity is included within the scenarios
Volcanic Traffic Light Yellow Phase 2.
The scenarios foreseen for this phase are:
1. Explosive activity of low to intermediate level.
2. Ash fall in nearby towns.
3. Possibility of short range pyroclastic flows and mudflows .
Special emphasis is placed on the following recommendations:
1. Continue the safety radius of 12 km, so staying in that area is not allowed.
2. Keep the controlled traffic between Santiago Xalitzintla and San Pedro Nexapa through Paso de Cortés.
3. Civil Protection authorities, keep your preventive procedures, in accordance with their operational plans.
4. People, be alert to the official information disseminated.
In case of ashfall, address the following recommendations:
• Cover nose and mouth with a wet handkerchief or face mask.
• Clean eyes and throat with pure water.
• Avoid contact lenses to reduce eye irritation.
• Close windows or cover them up, and stay indoors as much as possible.
Popocatepetl Volcano monitoring is performed continuously 24 hours a day. Any change in activity will be reported in due course.