Versión en español - Spanish version
August 20 11:00 h (August 20 16:00 GMT)
In the last 24 hours the monitoring system of Popocatepetl recorded 46 exhalations of low intensity, some were accompanied by steam and gas (see image 1) a>. Additionally occurred yesterday volcanotectónicos three earthquakes at 22:44 h, 22:48 h and 22:55 h with magnitudes of 2.6, 2.2 and 2.7 respectively. All three events occurred in the southeast sector of the volcano
Overnight incandescence was observed on the crater increased at the time of some of the exhalations (see image 2) . On the morning of day some emissions of steam and gas that reached a height of 500 m above the crater and westbound observed (see Figure 3) .
At the time of this report has partial visibility due to cloud cover.
In case of ashfall, address the following recommendations:
• Cover nose and mouth with a wet handkerchief or face mask.
• Clean eyes and throat with pure water.
• Avoid contact lenses to reduce eye irritation.
• Close windows or cover them as much as possible and stay indoors as much as possible.
Volcanic Traffic Light is at Yellow Phase 2.
The scenarios foreseen for this phase are:
1. Explosive activity of low to intermediate level.
2. Ash fall in nearby towns.
3 Possibility of pyroclastic flows and mudflows short range.
Special emphasis is placed on the following recommendations:
1. Continue the safety radius of 12 km, so staying in that area is not allowed.
2 Keep the controlled traffic between Santiago Xalitzintla and San Pedro Nexapa through Paso de Cortés.
3 A Civil Protection authorities, keep your preventive procedures, in accordance with their operational plans.
4. People, being alert to the official information disseminated.
Popocatepetl Volcano monitoring is performed continuously 24 hours. Any change in activity will be reported in due course.